Introduction The 'Leave It' command is crucial for preventing dogs from picking up or eating dangerous items. It’s an essential part of a dog’s safety training.
Teaching 'Leave It'
- Start with a Treat in Hand: Hold a treat in a closed fist and let your dog sniff it.
- Wait for Disinterest: Say 'Leave It' and wait until they lose interest in your hand.
- Reward When Ignored: When they move away from your hand, reward them with a treat from the other hand.
- Increase Difficulty: Practice with the treat on the floor and covered by your hand, gradually making it more challenging.
- Consistency and Patience: Practice regularly and be consistent with the command and reward.
Conclusion Teaching your dog to 'Leave It' is vital for their safety and can prevent many dangerous situations.